On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Monday, March 2, 2009

Nha Trang-Tuy Hoa

Total Distance:126.26km
Total Time:7h44m47s
Average Speed:16.3km/h
Maximum Speed:43.0km/h
Total Distance So Far:4986.40km

The ride to Tuy Hoa had a little bit of everything. The ocean, the mountains, some hills, some wind, some more wind, rain, sunshine... a little bit of everything. The ride for the most part was pretty flat, except for a small portion of it where I had to climb over a couple of mountains. They were only the outer most part of the highlands though, so compared to the journey to Delat it was nothing. In the morning it rained a little. It was nice. You have to bare in mind that when it rains here it's not like at home. The weather remains warm, and it makes for a nice break from the heat. You do, however, end up wet and muddy. However when I'm cycling I'm not a picture of cleanliness anyway. The wind was terrible. You guys know how I feel about the wind.
Tuy Hoa is actually a fair size city. There is a lot of hotels there, and they're all on the same street. It was nice because it was easy to play them against eachother and get a good price. I was pretty tired by the time I arrived, so I didn't really do much. Just ate my noodles and went to bed.
It's a long haul to Hoi An. Including today I figure it's going to take me three or four days to get there. The next few destinations after that though are pretty close together. I'm still debating whether or not I should attempt to go back into the highlands. It would be a nicer route to Hoi An, but I don't know if Fred and I can make it. My heart says yes, but my head says no. I have to decide before I leave Quy Nhon, which is in one more day, as that's my last chance to turn off into the mountains. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: