On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Quy Nhon-Quang Ngai

Total Distance:180.45km
Total Time:9h32m11s
Average Speed:18.9km/h
Maximum Speed:48.0km/h
Total Distance So Far:5264.79km

Well, it was another long and gruelling day on the cycling circuit. It's been a while since I pulled off a big day like that. It actually felt pretty good. The weather remains a little cloudy and rainy, which actually helps. It's nice not having to bike through the heat. The day didn't get off to the best of starts. I woke up to discover I had a flat tire. I fixed it, the entire time cursing. It's not really the kind of thing one wants to wake up to. Even though I was already off to alate start, I opted to stop for breakfast. I've finally learned hoe to order bread and eggs... "bahn mi op la". It took a little longer than usual. Another set back to the days start. Then, of course, I got lost trying to find my way back to the highway. Eventually I did get out of there.
The ride went pretty much without flaw. Although I'm finding the people of Vietnam are getting stranger as I head north. There was one town in particular which gave off a really creepy vibe. I wish I could remember it's name, as to warn you against stopping there, but unfortunately I can not. As I was approaching I suddenly got a eerie feeling. Being the brilliant mind that I am I opted to stop for a drink there. The people were so strange. They all gathered around me, just standing there looking at me. It's pretty normal for that to happen, but this time felt different. I was getting a pretty bad feeling. Needless to say, I downed my drink and high-tailed it out of there. One thing I found especially odd was the abundance of hotels there. There is nothing really to stop and see, and I don't understand why there were so many places to stay. All of them giving off a strong Bates Motel vibe.
The rest of the ride was good. Traffic remains not too bad. Although, the Vietnamese have an annoying habbit of honking their horns for no particular reason. I think I'm starting to go a little deaf. Other than that I have no real complaints. I'm still enjoying myself, and have no intention of quitting just yet.

No comments: