On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Friday, March 13, 2009

Hue-Dong Hoi

Total Distance:166.59km
Total Time:7h57m40s
Average Speed:20.9km/h
Maximum Speed:49.5km/h
Total Distance So Far:5685.62km

Well folks, it's been a long past few days. I haven't had access to a computer, so you have a lot to read. I also haven't had anyone to speak english to, so excuse me if I don't make much sense. I set out to do the impossible, or at least unlikely. Ride over 600km in three days. In case you're are wondering, it's not possible. At least not for me. I guess given different circumstances it may have been. But I'm jumping ahead of myself. Let's start at the beginning, shall we. The ride from Hue to Dong Hoi was okay. Nothing really that spectacular. I did pass the DMZ, which is where Vietnam technically is divided between North and South. It's a big tourist attraction amoung history buffs, which I'm not. None the less, at least I can say I have been there. Even if I was just biking through.
I stopped at the oddest place for lunch. It was run by these three women. Strange, strange women. When I pulled up the three of them were sitting there reading Lonely Planet's Guide to Vietnam. The really strange thing is it was in English, which not one of them could speak a word of. It's almost as if they were waiting for me. The menu was in English too. I also found this to be a little strange, convenient but strange. This place was sort of in the middle of nowhere, and I'm sure I was only the second Westerner to ever grace it's presence. The first being whoever left the book.
Other than that, not a lot to tell. It rained again. I'm getting a little sick of the rain. The Vietnamese aren't getting any nicer. They remain to try and rip me off. I guess I'll just have to get used to it. At least there was no mountains on this part of the journey.

No comments: