On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Quan Hoa-Na Meo

Total Distance:55.69km
Total Time:4h33m39s
Average Speed:12.2km/h
Maximum Speed:41.0km/h
Total Distance So Far:6489.48km

Why, oh why, do I always make things harder for myself than they have to be? Before I left Hanoi I was told by various other travellers that a Laos Visa could be obtained at the boarder. In light of this information, I didn't worry about getting one ahead of time. I should have double checked, just to be safe. As it turns out Laos Visas are only available at some borders, Na Meo not being one of them. At this point I am on the last day of my Vietnam Visa, which is another problem all together. I talked to the border guards who, surprisingly, were actually pretty nice. They told me I would have to go back to Hanoi, apply for a Visa to Laos, and come back. As far as the Vietnamese Visa is concerned... I have five days to get back to the border, at which time I will have to pay a penalty of $10US.
I took a bus back to Hanoi after spending the night in Na Meo. It was a 10 hour ride. Luckily, I've spent enough time here to know my way around, so finding a place to stay was painless. Now I have 5 days to get back. Obviously I'll be taking the bus. Can it be done? Let's hope so.

No comments: