On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Friday, March 13, 2009

Vinh-Thanh Hoa

Total Distance:152.84km
Total Time:8h09m20s
Average Speed:18.7km/h
Maximum Speed:33.0km/h
Total Distance So Far:6038.34km

One more night on desolation row. By this point I was a little starved for conversation. I had no books to read, and I couldn't even find a computer to talk to you guys. I was a little disappointed that I had to stop in Thanh Hoa. Not only is there nothing to do there, but I honestly did think I could make it to Nonh Binh. It turned out to be a little further thatn I had originally thought. It pored with rain the whole day. Traffic was absolutely insane, and by the time I got to Thanh Hoa I only had about an hour of daylight left. The previous night I had sucked it up and done the last hour in the dark. Riding down those Vietnamese highways at night isn't very much fun. Not only do they drive like total psychos, but they all keep there high beams on, which can cause a poor cycling farang to go blind. I didn't want to repeat that misery, so I opted to stay the night and reach Ninh Binh in the morning.
I actually met a nice person today. Possibly the only one in this entire country. She invited me into her shop to have tea with her and her husband and, get this, expected NOTHING in return. Amazing! Maybe there's hope after all. It couldn't have come at a better time. I had just passed two turnoffs for the Laos border, which I was seriously thinking of taking. It's starting to get to me. The constant rudeness. The animalistic come on's from men. The children who act like wild dogs. It was good to finally have a pleasant experience. I know it seems like I'm being harsh, but come here and you'll see. It's true.
The rain is staring to get to me too. It just isn't letting up. I end each day looking, and feeling like a drowned rat. At first I found it refreshing, but that has come to an end. I'm ready for it to stop.

No comments: