On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Quang Ngai-Hoi An

Total Distance:118.93km
Total Time:6h12m50s
Average Speed:19.1km/h
Maximum Speed:32.0km/h
Total Distance So Far:5383.72km

After four days of straight cycling I've finally made it to Hoi An, the tailoring capital of the world. Hoi An is a beautiful town. It's set on a river, lined with old buildings and about a million different places to get clothes made. It seems really laid back and gives off a relaxed vibe. I really quite like it here. The only downside is accomodations don't come cheap here. The hotels are all great. They're clean, come with hot water and AC, and offer great guest services. While these things are fine and dandy, I really rather would pay less and get less. I guess its nice to treat yourself once and a while though. One very odd thing about Hoi An is the bars. They all offer free rum and coke durring happy hour. There's no cover, no catch, which for Vietnam is a little alarming. There's always a catch here. The food is great. I'd go as far as to say it's the best as of yet on my journey through Vietnam. While western food is still here, they seem to focus more on educating ignorant westerners in Vietnamese culinary specialties. It's nice for a change. Usually in the touristy places you have to struggle to find good authentic Vietnamese food.
I have to get my Visa extended, which means at least a couple of days here. There are definitely worse places to be. After that, I'm headed to Denang. It's only a short 35 or 40km away. It will be nice to actually arrive in a place early. The weather is getting hot again. While the rain provided a nice break, I'm sort of glad it's over. It can't rain all the time. The hills and wind seem to have come to a stop, for now at least. Although I'm sure having stated this, my next trip will probably be up a mountain against the wind.
That's all for now. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: