On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Dalat-Nha Trang

Total Distance:145.25km
Total Time:7h55m20s
Average Speed:18.3km/h
Maximum Speed:56.5km/h
Total Distance So Far:4860.14km

What goes up, must come down! The climb up to Dealt was intense, to say the least. It was well worth it though. Delat is a great city. I had a wonderful time checking out the surrounding area, sitting by waterfalls, wondering through forests, and just taking some time to contimplate life. After a few days, though it was reluctant, I was ready to leave and continue on with my journey. The ladies at my guesthouse had assured me the ride would be mostly downhill and, being that I'm slightly on the lazy side, I was really looking forward to it. I fully expected that all I would have to do is sit on my bike a stear, occasionally giving the brakes a squeeze. WRONG! I took the newly built highway leading from Delat to Nha Trang. The road was beautiful and, as it's not 100% completed, buses aren't yet using it which might light flowing traffic. However the first 65km were anything but downhill. There was the occasional down slope, giving me a bit of relief, but for the most part it was uphill. Before you wind back down to the coast, you have to treverse accross a series of mountains. It was very disappointing. However, that last downslope was the greatest experience of my life. Okay, maybe that's an overstatement, but it was pretty damn good. A 20km stretch that leads down, and only down. I burned about 50km/h the whole way down (Mom, stop freaking out. I was careful), and made up a lot of time. Even giving me time to stop for lunch, which I though I wouldn't be able to do.
The greatest thing about Vietnam are the cafe's. There everywhere, and all of them sell great coffee. After my adventure coming down the mountain, it's the first place I headed to. I stopped in a small village, drank my coffee and ate some noodles. I was set to go for the last 50km. The last 50km was mainly flat. It was nice to be able to maintain a consistant pace again.
Now I'm in Nha Trang. It's time for some more beach and sun. I still need to get Fred looked at, but am having problems finding a good bike shop. If I can't find one I may skip going back into the highlands, as I had originally planned. I'm sure I get get him looked after in Hanoi, and I don't think getting there will be that difficult if I stick to the coast.

No comments: