On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Monday, February 16, 2009

Cantho- Saigon

Total Distance:166.55km
Total Time:7h44m08s
Average Speed:21.5km/h
Maximum Speed:52.0km/h
Total Distance So Far:4216.28km

Well, I've been in Vietnam for a week now. Before coming here I heard that the traffic was slightly insane. To be honest, I assumed everyone was embellishing a little. After experiencing it first hand, I can assure you, they weren't. The entire trip so far has been wall to wall traffic. It never lets up, not even for a second. The only up side of it is that being surrounded by cars provides a good shield from the wind. It's so loud. Everyday is concluded with a thumping headache. However, the roads here are great. The shoulders are nice and wide, and the pavement is beautiful. The Vietnamese people, as with any country I suppose, can be pretty hit and miss. Overall the majority of them seem pretty friendly, although I find some of the men here a little too friendly.
The ride from Cantho went smooth. I wish I could tell you more, but there wasn't a lot to see. Like I've stated before, the Vietnamese highways are somewhat lacking scenically. It is almost like riding through one giant city. I had been warned about traffic in Saigon. Having been told it is amoung one of the worst in the world, I was a little nervous about riding in here. It's not as bad as people claim. Once you figure out how to ride with no rules of the road, you're golden. I did get a flat tire once entering Saigon, which was extremely frustaurating. At this point though, I've become a pro at fixing flats, so it doesn't set me back like it used to.
The city itself isn't a bad place. It's a rather modern city. Like most major metropolises, it's overpriced, but that comes with the territory. I had planned to spend only two nights here, but have decided to extend it to three. I figure I'm in no real rush.
That's all for now folks. I'll drop you a line from my next destination... wherever that may be.

No comments: