On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Oudong-Kampot

Total Distance:193.73km
Total Time:9h29m08s
Average Speed:20.4km/h
Maximum Speed:35.5km/h
Total Distance So Far:3800.81km

I woke up early in the morning intending to make all the way down to Kep. Had I succeeded it would have been my longest distance yet. I didn't quite make it there though, but we'll get to that. I started the day with a morning coffee at the restaurant where I had enjoyed the previous evening. It was rather early and the people there seemed less excited to see me than they had been the day before. I guess they're not morning people. I rode the 45km or so to Phnom Penh, where I stopped for a late breakfast. It was a really enjoyable experience. Out of the three times I've stopped in that dreaded city, I think this was the best. Perhaps it's because I knew I wouldn't be staying. I ate at a little place along the Mekong, where the owner joined me at my table and we had a nice chat. I probably spent a little longer there than I should have, but as I said I was quite enjoying myself.
Riding through Phnom Penh wouldn't be riding through Phnom Penh if I didn't get lost. It took me well over an hour to navigate my way out of there. That, plus my leisurely meal, were the reasons for not making it to Kep in one day. I kicked myself for it later. This was my third time riding down good old highway number three. It seems everytime the road gets a little worse. Maybe I had just been spoiled by the roads in Battambang province. Outside of Phnom Penh the road is mostly dug up and unpaved. The entire way to Kampot is paved, however it seems although they just dumped tar over the dirt road, making for a rather bumpy road. It's a little frusterating because it's hard to make up time on a bad road. I spent my time telling myself that this was the last time I would have to take this road.
I didn't stop much. Only to pick up water when I was running low. Thte last time I rode this highway, I had stopped for lunch in Ang Ta Som. When I passed by the restaurant where I had stopped the people who served me cane running out waving. It put a smile on my face. By the time I reached Kampot it was just about to get dark. I stopped for a soda and contimplated whether or not to continue on to Kep. On one hand it was only another 25km away. On the other it would be dark soon and, having not yet ridden that road, I didn't know in what condition it would be. In the end I opted to stay in Kampot.
Unlike my previous two stops there, finding a place to stay was rather painless. The second place I went to had a room for me. It was actually one of the better places I've stayed. Extremely clean with very friendly staff. While I didn't break any records, 193km is nothing to scoff at. It was an early dinner, then off to bed.

No comments: