On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Monday, February 9, 2009

Battambang-Pursat

Total Distance:109.87km
Total Time:4h56m14s
Average Speed:22.3km/h
Maximum Speed:32.5km/h
Total Distance So Far:3457.76km

I spent a couple of days kickin' around Battambang. There really isn't a hell of a lot to do there. To be I honest, I only went to kill a little bit of time. It was sort of a noisey, dingy city. There were a few good places to eat, by which I mean three. However, after the long ride up it was nice to just relax and not bike for a few days. The road between Battambang and Pursat is one of the best in Cambodia. The pavement is smooth, and it's rather fast moving once you get going. It really is an enjoyable ride. The ride didn't take me long, nor was it very far, so I decided to really enjoy myself durring the days trip. I spent my time riding and getting to know the Khmer people. I would strike up conversations with people going by on motorbikes. If there was a group of children on the side of the road, I'd hold out my hand and high-five them as I passed. Of course, I had a race or two with some of the kids. Overall I had a lot of fun.
Pursat is one horse town if I've ever seen one. Once there I attempted to walk around and check it out, although there wasn't really anything to check out. I spent the night at a hotel where I had stopped for lunch on the way up. I surprised to see a few other "pale faces" staying there. It seemed although, like me, they had opted for more time in Cambodia than they really needed and were trying to kill some time.

No comments: