On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Sihanouk Ville-Kampot

Total Distance:102.90km
Total Time:5h09m54s
Average Speed:20.0km/h
Maximum Speed:55.0km/h
Total Distance So Far:2993.54km

Sihanouk Ville is a mellow layed back beach town. Which is exactly what I needed after spending a couple of weeks biking around the dusty, dry roads of Northern Cambodia. I spent my time basically doing nothing. It was a few days of nothing but relaxation. However after a few days I started to become restless and, as all good things must come to an end, so did my trip to Sihanouk Ville. It was time to take Fred back out and give him some exercise. Unfortunately, my route to Sihanouk Ville was not all that well thought out. In order to get anywhere I would have to significantly backtrack. I had about eleven days left before my Vietnam Visa was in affect. I figured the best way to kill eleven days would be to go to Battambang, which is the only major city I missed.
So, that's what I'm doing now. I have to backtrack about 250km. Then it's another 250km to Battambang. The worst part is, in order to cross the boarder into Vietnam, I have to backtrack again. I can either cross near Phnom Penh or Kampot. That's a whole lot of biking. As I said I should have thought it through better. At least it's a good way to pass the time though. Plus I'll be in excellent shape for the hills of Vietnam and Laos.
You would think it would be the same direction both ways. For some reason it was 5km longer going back to Kampot. Crazy! Once again it was a great ride. There was a slight head wind, but the hills and the trees seemed to block most of it, making it a little more forgiving. Once again, upon arriving in Kampot, almost everything was full, and it took a good hour and a half to find a room. Kampot isn't the most exciting city in the world, but I will give it one thing. It's a great place to watch the sun set.

No comments: