On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sa Kaeo-Si Saphon

Total Distance:108.01km
Total Time:7h20m23s
Average Speed:14.7km/h
Maximum Speed:24.8km/h

My last night in Thailand, though quit, was a pleasant one. Sa Kaeo is anything but a hip happening town but it's not without it's charm. It's rather quant in it's own right. I went to a little coffee shop had a latte and read for a bit. I suspect this may be my last latte for a while, although I could be wrong. Maybe Cambodians are big into the gourmet coffee. I seriously doubt it though. I had a delicious meal from the night market. It was odd though. Usually they have places where you can sit and eat, but in this particular town you have to take your food to go. So my last meal in Thailand was enjoyed in the confines of my hotel room.
I woke up early and headed towards Cambodia. Surprise, surprise... the head-winds were back. The landscape proved even more boring than the previous day. I was more than willing to cross into Cambodia and experience something new.
Crossing the boarder was rather painless, although it took a lot longer than I anticipated. I didn't touch Cambodian soil until 1:30 in the afternoon. I still had another 50km before reaching Si Saphon. I could have stayed in Poi Pete, however it was sort of the dingiest town I've ever seen. I was all too eager to get out of there. The ride to Si Saphon was not very nice. The road was great. The Cambodian Government is repaving the roads, so I guess I picked a pretty good time to come. It was, however, windy as all hell. It was almost unbearable. I know I've said that before, but this time I really mean it. The scenery was nothing more than a big empty windy field. It slightly improved once I hit Si Saphon. I've been told many great things about Cambodia, so I'm optimistic that the days to come will prove better.
So I finally made it to Cambodia. 3 countries down, 3 to go.

No comments: