On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Prachuap Khiri Khan-Hua Hin

Total Distance:98.76km
Total Time:5h83m23s
Average Speed:17.5km/h
Maximum Speed:35.5km/h
total Distance So Far:1679.94km/h

After sustaining a minor injury I decided to take it easy for a couple of days. I rested up in Prachuap Khiri Khan. Overall it wasn't all that exciting. There are a ton of monkeys there, which was sort of neat. It's not everyday you pass a monkey just walking down the street. It was a good place to rest. Being that there wasn't much to do any how, I didn't feel although I was missing out on anything. There very serious about there coffee there. There's a coffee shop every ten feet. A caffeine junky such as myself would love it.
After two nights there I hit the road again. My leg was still a bit soar, but I took it slow and it felt good to be riding. It seems although the further north I go, the windier it gets. At least there was a certain amount of cloud cover. It was nice not to bake in the sun all day. The ride went well. I passed through Pranburi, which is 20km south of Hua Hin. It was a lot bigger than I anticipated. Looking back I wish I would have stopped there, as I'm sure it would have been easier to find accommodations. I should of taken into account that I was travelling to a beach that's only a few hours from Bangkok on New Years Eve. I arrived in Hua Hin at around 3:00pm. I scoped out all the places suggested by Lonely Planet, but they were all full. I started going to every Guesthouse on the beach... all full! I decided I might have better luck if I steered away from the beach. So I went to every guesthouse and hotel in the town... ALL FULL. I only managed to find three available rooms. They were all ridiculously expensive. I finally settled for something that was about four times what I had expected to pay. However it was clean and had hot water, two things I seldom find in my travels.
During my quest for a hotel I bumped into a few fellow cyclists. Three men from the USA. They hadn't started biking yet. They had just flown to Bangkok, then taken a bus to Hua Hin. To be honest I think they are a little ill prepared. They seemed far to impressed with the fact that I had a map of Thailand. It's sort of a necessity if you're biking through a country. They also seemed to think they could make it from Hua Hin to Phuket to Cambodia in two weeks. That's probably about 1700km. Good Luck Guys! There's a learning curve though. I'm sure they'll figure it out as they go along.
When I arrived at my hotel there were three older Swedish men there. They were so impressed with my method of travel, they took me out and bought me dinner so they could ask me all about it. They took me to this all you can eat Swedish Buffet, which was quite pricey. Something I never would have treated myself to. They asked me all the questions everybody always asks. But given the free food and drink, I didn't mind answering.

No comments: