On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Kampong Kdei-Kampong Thom

Total Distance:81.82km
Total Time:5h5m49s
Average Speed:16.0km/h
Maximum Speed:26.3km/h
Total Distance So Far:2489.75

Head-winds, head-winds, and more headwinds! It's been nothing but head-winds since Hua Hin. The good news is I'm about to change my course of direction from east to south so, in theory, it shouldn't be so bad as of tomorrow. My stay in Kampong Kdei was uneventful, t say the least. There is absolutely nothing to see or do there. About an hour after checking in to my guesthouse I was suffering from the deep regret of having not just sucked it up and continued on. I spent the majority of my time either sleeping or reading. At least i was well rested for the next day. My room did come equipped with a shower, however the water didn't work. When you turned it on it would only run for about five minutes before conking out. I left Kampong Kdei smelly, hungry, and suffering from severe boredom.
The ride to Kampong Thom was flat, dull and windy. Perfectly in suit with the preceding days. Once in kampong Thom I checked into a guesthouse and has a much needed shower. I met two other cyclists there. Antony, from Belgium and Carol from London. Both of whom I had crossed previously in Siem Reap. I'm surprised at the amount of cyclists in Cambodia. I thought I would meet the most in Thailand, but I guess the newly paved Cambodian roads have brought them here.
I've received a great deal of flack for having so much gear with me and, while it has yet to be a problem, I think I should consider reducing my baggage before hitting the hills of Northern Vietnam and Laos. I'm a bit of a pack rat, and enjoy having a certain amount of material items with me. Reduction however, painful though it may be, is necessary.

No comments: