On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Friday, January 2, 2009

Phetchaburi-Samut Sakhon

Total Distance:98.48km
Total Time:5h34m33s
Average Speed:17.3km/h
Maximum Speed:38km/h
Total Distance So Far:1858.78km

I spent the night in Phetchaburi and am sorry to tell you it was yet another dull destination. I really have nothing for you. I managed to find a hotel with minimal effort. The food was okay, but nothing spectacular. I woke up early in hopes of getting to Samut Sakhon at a decent hour. The women who ran the hotel I was at insisted on making me breakfast. While I was eating thy tried to convince me that I should stay for at least one more night, as Phetchaburi supposedly had more to offer than I realized. They showed me brouchers and tried to talk it up. The only things in the brouchers were pictures of the near by beach. I'm sure it is lovely but, having seen my fair share of beaches already, I wasn't really interested. I think Phetchaburi is a little hurting in the tourism department. At the very least I scored a free breakfast, which is always a nice treat.
The trip to Samut Sakhon was typical of what I have recently experienced. Windy in the morning, a little calmer in the afternoon, and wall to wall traffic. I made more stops than I usually would, as the wind and traffic start to get to you after a while. However I still made it to Samut Sakhon by early afternoon. I was excited to be so close to Bangkok, as well as the 2000km mark. 2000km will be quite an accomplishment. When I got to Samut Sakhon I stopped for a coffee. The woman who ran the coffee shop was wonderful. She suggested a good hotel for me to stay at, and some temples to check out around Bangkok. It's always nice to be greeted in a city by a smiling face. First impressions mean a lot, and she gave me a good one.
I was still undecided on whether or not to bike into Bangkok. On one hand, I was only 35km away. If I left relatively early I could reach Bangkok in an hour and a half and have plenty of time to navigate my way around the city. On the other hand, I really didn't know what to expect. The only cities of comparable size I've been to were Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. I didn't even bother trying to cycle in Singapore and KL was some what terrifying. I scoped out where the bus station was and decided to sleep on it. I would wake up early and decide then.

No comments: