On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Phnom Penh-Kampot

Total Distance:149ish
Total Time:6h20m14s
Average Speed:22.89km/h
Maximum Speed:?
Total Distance So Far:2793.53km

If you are wondering about the lack of specs, my cycling computer wasn't working. Not to fear. It's all better now, so from now on my reports should be more accurate. Phnom Penh was... another big city in a trip full of big cities. Honestly, I was a little tired of sight seeing. I think Ankor Wat puts you into tourist over load. I checked out a couple of sights. Most of which were related to the Khmer Rogue. It was sad and depressing. As I'm sure you would imagine. The rest of my time was spent mostly just bumming around, eating curry, and drinking banana shakes. My life is hard, I know! None the less, I did enjoy Phnom Penh. I even managed to convert a backpacker into a cyclist. He was so impressed by the cyclists in our guesthouse, he decided to buy himself a bike and follow suit. Cambodia, however, is not the best place to purchase a bike. After seeing what he ended up with I predict he may have some problems.
The ride to Kampot was great. I was feeling slightly on the lazy side, so there was a lot of stopping involved. The locals here are awesome. They always want to chat, even if they can't speak English. I stopped for a drink at one shop. The ladies there took a special shine to me. They were pretty enthralled by my piercings and tattoos, especially once I showed them my tongue ring. I've never seen people laugh with such hysteria. A lot of cyclists have the go-go-go attitude. Constantly trying to improve of time or stamina. Sometimes you have to stop to smell the roses. I'm not in a rush. This isn't a race. What's the point of cycling a country if you're not going to enjoy the actual country?
Kampot was extremely busy. Almost everything was booked. I did eventually find a room, but it wasn't cheap. It did have hot water, which was a nice treat. The city itself is sort of lacking in excitement. It's riverside location does make for a great place to watch the sun set.

No comments: