On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Hua Hin-Petchaburi

Total Distance:82.36km
Total Time:4h50m02s
Average Speed:17.0km/h
Maximum Speed:37.5km/h
Total Distance So Far:1762.30

For any time I've complained about the wind, I am sorry. I'm am sorry because, until today, I didn't know what wind was and I've left you thinking I have been cycling through these horrific conditions. Well, today I did. There's a city near where I'm from called Lethbridge. It supposedly has one of the highest suicide rates in Canada. There's a theory that it is due to the often windy weather conditions. Some people think the wind drives you insane to the point where you just can't stand it anymore. Today I finally truly understood this theory. Today should have been a fairly easy day. I'm getting use to doing the big ticket kilometers, so an 85km jaunt should have been nothing more than a leisurely ride. No such luck. The wind was insane. It let up for the last half of my ride. I really hope this isn't an indication of things to come.
Other than that the ride was good. I got my third flat tire. I even impressed myself at how quickly I got it changed. It's not as hot here as it was in the South. I hope that continues. Biking in the hot sun can take a toll on you. My leg seems to be getting better and better. It's still a little sore, but I can feel it getting stronger.
Pranburi and everything North of it appears to be on giant suburb of Bangkok. The plus side is you don't have to worry about making it to a certain destination. There seems to be tons of places to stay. The downside is it's wall to wall traffic. I don't like to cycle with my ipod on, but today I had to just to drown out some of the noise. The roads are fairly flat. It's sort of like being back in Malaysia. The scenery is sort of lacking in comparison to the South. It actually reminds me of back home. In the distance you can see the mountains, but where you are is just flat fields with cows. A little boring.
I'm almost in Bangkok. It should take me two more days. There's some things I want to check out, so I could conceivably prolong it to three. then it's off to Cambodia.

No comments: