On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Lopburi-Ayuthaya

Total Distance:71.54km
Total Time:4h04m57s
Average Speed:17.6km/h
Maximum Speed:32.5km/h
Total Distance So Far:8920.00km

Spending a couple of days in Lopburi was nice. I got a chance to see more ancient ruins from around the Ayuthaya Period. While they are beautiful and spectacular to look at, they are all starting to look a little similar. Being that I am now in Ayuthaya, the former capital from this period, I will undoubtedly be seeing even more of these ancient ruins. After that I think I'm done with it for a while. No more temples for at least a couple of weeks.
As I said, Lopburi was nice. I especially like the monkey's. I always get such a kick out of watching them. Although you do have to be somewhat careful around them. many of them carry disease and some can be just plain nasty. As of yet I have had no negative monkey experiences, but I've met quite a few people who have.
Riding to Ayuthaya was not terribly exciting. However the way there did pose the option of a secondary highway, which I did take. It was nice to be off the main road for a while. Today's trip was a relatively short one. I thought it would be even shorter, but I guess I was wrong. Again, for a change, it was nice to hit somewhere in the morning hours, completely forfeiting having to ride through the heat of mid-day.
I had forgotten how nice the Thai drivers are. they are pretty courteous on the road. They often honk there horns, but usually just to say hello. Even when it is to tell you to move out of the way it is usually followed by a wave or a thumbs up. Unlike Cambodia and Vietnam they are not excessive about either. One honk, that's it. they don't drive behind you laying on there horns trying to drive you crazy. It is easy to stay in high spirits riding through Thailand.
I can't believe I'm almost in Bangkok. Just 80km away. Tomorrow will be spent here in Ayuthaya, but the next day I should be rolling into the capital of Thailand with just over 9000km under my belt. After that it's one long jaunt down to the Malaysian border. I've toyed with the idea of stopping off at one more island before I leave Thailand, but it's looking doubtful. I eager to make my way through Malaysia and down into Indonesia. Not only is Indonesia of particular interest to me being that it is part of my background, but I'm also excited for a little bit of a change in scenery. In particular the volcanoes. That is one thing I have yet to see on my trip. I should hit Indonesia by July, putting me back on Canadian soil in August. However these things seems to change pretty frequently, so who really knows. At first I was going to leave Fred in Singapore and just do the regular bus thing through Indonesia, but now I'm thinking I might bring him along. I've gone so far with him already it would be a shame to leave him behind.

No comments: