On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Bangkok-Phetaburi

Total Distance:156.96km
Total Time:8h21m27s
Average Speed:18.8km/h
Maximum Speed:41.0km/h
Total Distance So Far:9167.25km

As anticipated, I was in Bangkok for a few days. I really didn't do much. Slept, ate, caught up on some reading and, being that I was in the party central of the universe, had a couple of nights out on the town. In all honesty I could have done without a second visit to Bangkok. Especially such a lengthy one. The city starts to get to you after a while. Everyone is trying to sell you something. The Tuk-Tuk drivers are relentless. Then there's the ultra seedy element, but I won't even get into that. I suppose, like all big cities, it's not without it's perks. There is a wide array of... well, of everything. There are also a few parts of the city that aren't too bad.
Taking Fred for a ride around the city is one thing. It's a little fun weaving in and out of traffic. However trying to make our way out of the city in a completely different matter. To no surprise exiting the Bangkok city limits took a good four hours. Traffic was horrendous. The one way streets were confusing. On top of this, I didn't really know which way to go. I just sort of guessed and hoped it would all work out. Miraculously it did. I guess I'm more intuitive than any of us thought. Eventually I did make my way out of the city, and it was all pretty smooth sailing from there. It was loud and busy but, having ridden this route before, I more than saw that coming. Phetchaburi isn't that far away, but when all was said in done I had bike nearly 50km at the time I exited the city, turning a 110km ride into nearly 160km.
And so my journey back to Malaysia begins. Having seen all this before I'm going to try keeping the stops to a minimum. I might still hit up a beach on my way. We'll see if I pass anything good. However the goal is to do a straight shot right down to the border. I am slightly lazy though, so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes me longer than I anticipate.

No comments: