On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Ayuthaya-Bangkok

Total Distance:90.29km
Total Time:5h16m19s
Average Speed:17.1km/h
Maximum Speed:35.5km/h
Total Distance So Far:9010.29km

Well I'm back in Bangkok, with just over 9000km under my belt. Bangkok is sort of the type of place you love to hate. It's loud, dirty, and full of the sleaziest of sleaze-bags. However it is also pretty darn convenient. For those travelling via bus or train it is a great hub. You can get pretty much anywhere in the world through Bangkok. It also has a great variety of places to eat, drink, and shop. Anything you need or want you can get here... and I mean ANYTHING! Everyone tells themselves they will just pass through and ends up staying at least a few days. Most people who are travelling the area for long periods of time end up here on multiple occasions. I, apparently, am no exception. I arrived today and have come to terms with the fact that I will be here for at least three nights. I need to stock up on bike supplies and books. I have sort of a long stretch ahead of me where these things may not be readily available. It is also my last chance to do a little shopping in Thailand. What can I say, it turns out I do have some girly tendencies after all.
Once again I took busy highway 1 today. It was loud and busy, but it went pretty fast. That is until I hit Bangkok. While the city is relatively easy to get around, especially having been here before, the same can not be said for the sub-districts. I find the outskirts of the city really confusing and have gotten lost every time entering or exiting Bangkok. At least this time I was expecting it. I arrived in the Bangkok area at 12:30 this afternoon and didn't actually get to my guesthouse until 4:30. If you are wondering about why my riding time is so low, I actually disconnected the cycling computer after about an hour of aimlessly riding around. It was frustrating but, like I said, I was expecting it.
While this may not be the ideal place for some Rn'R, it will have to do. I've a;ready seen most of the south of Thailand, so it's going to be pretty much a straight shot to the Malaysian border. I still have no definitive plan after that. Talking to some people the other night I'm now leaning towards making my way to Sumatra. Unfortunately, this would probably mean going sans Fred. We'll see.
I still have a while before I head home, but still I feel my trip rounding to a close. It has it's ups and downs. I'll be said to return to the same old song and dance, but I do miss my friends and family and I'm getting excited to see everyone.

No comments: