On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Chumphon-Surat Thani

Total Distance:201.84km
Total Time:10h56m48s
Average Speed:18.4km/h
Maximum Speed:42.5km/h
Total Distance So Far:9756.85km

I spent the night in Chumphon. It isn't the most exciting place in the world, but pretty good as far as a travelling hub. There are plenty of cheap places to stay, book stores, even a couple of bike shops. There are a few restaurants that double as travel agencies. This was actually really convenient for me. They open and close according to when the boats to Ko Samui leave. This means if there is a 5:30am boat, which on this particular day there was, they will open the restaurant between 5:00 and 6:00 to cater to those coming or going to the island. It also means I was able to get a good breakfast before embarking on what was sure to be a very long day. Usually, as nothing else is open when I leave a city, I am doomed to eat my breakfast at 7/11. I'm getting a little sick of cornflakes with yogurt and bad instant coffee, so this was a nice treat.
The ride to Surat Thani took me back onto the main highway. As usual it was loud and busy, but at this point I'm starting to get used to it. On thing I can't get used to is the amount of roadkill you see biking around Thailand. It is really disturbing. No word of an exaggeration, I see at least 30 dead dogs every day. No one wants to see that! The roads are also often covered in broken glass from redbull bottles that have been discarded out of the windows of cars. You have to be careful about punctures. I've had pretty good luck so far ( I am knocking on wood as I type). Other than that the Thai highways are in great shape, and they are really nice to ride on.
It was a long, long day. Once again I broke 200km in a single day. Between the two cities is actually slightly less, but after riding around looking for a place to stay I rode just over 200km. Surat Thani is far from my favorite Thai city. I don't know exactly what it is I dislike about it so much, but I do. The worst part is I've been there three times. The last time I was there I had food poisoning and was stuck in bed for two days. I guess in comparison, this time wasn't so bad.

No comments: