On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Friday, June 12, 2009

Prachuap Khirikhan-Ban Bang Boet

Total Distance:136.01km
Total Time:8h00m08s
Average Speed:16.9km/h
Maximum Speed:43.5km/h
Total Distance So Far:9466.48km

Okay, so i totally wussed out and stayed in Prachuap Khirikhan an extra day. In my defense I was tired and suffering from some weird form of diaper rash caused by my crappy new cycling shorts. It isn't the most exciting of places, but not a bad place to hang out for a day or two. Both times that I've been there I have been able to meet other travellers. A little conversation after a couple of straight days of cycling is always nice. Otherwise I start to do a little nutty and begin engaging Fred in conversation. However, I'm sure seeing some insane foreign girl talking to her bike while riding it down the highway provides the good people of Thailand with some entertainment.
I swear I'm trying to hit different stops than the last time I rode through here. It just isn't working out that way. I had hoped to make it all the way to Chumphon. When I stopped for lunch I assessed how much longer I had to go. According to my calculations, if I biked without stopping I could have made it there just as the sun was going down. Biking without stopping for a rest seemed unlikely. Add the blistering heat and the strong head wind, not to mention the heavy and very annoying traffic and what you end up with is a conclusion to stop sooner than expected.
From my previous experience biking this route I knew there were places to stay in Bang Saphan, Bang Saphan Noi, and Ban Bang Boet. Bang Saphan was to close to justify calling it a day, and I had already been to Ban Bang Boet, so I decided on Bang Saphan Noi. I must have missed the turn off or something, because where I ended up was back in Ban Bang Boet.
For those of you who don't already know, the last time I was here I had fallen of my bike rendering me unable to walk let alone cycle. I ended up stranded in Ban Bang Boet, stuck in my hotel room which was costing me a small fortune. This time around was a much more pleasurable experience. I managed to find a more reasonably priced room and was able to walk around the town a little. It is actually a really nice place. It is a tiny fishing village right on the ocean, with a few small resorts. It is mainly visited by Thai people and not western travellers. It's very quiet and a great place to just relax and take in the view of limestone peaks jutting out of the endless ocean. At night the fishing boats all turn their lights on illuminating the sea. It's a beautiful sight. Another great thing about it is the food the fish, being that it is a fishing village, is fresh and cheap.
So, I didn't make it to Chumphon, but at least this stop got me off the main highway. Tomorrow I will be able to enjoy a nice peaceful ride along the less busy secondary highway.

No comments: