On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Nakhon Si Thammarat-Songklha

Total Distance:187.10km
Total Time:10h13m32s
Average Speed:18.2km/h
Maximum Speed:43.0km/h
Total Distance So Far:10,091.81km

The Decision to stay an extra day in Nakhon Si Thammarat was a regrettable one. There was really nothing to do or see there. The city was dirty and loud and lacked any aesthetic appeal what so ever. The only plus was that it gave me a chance to rest up. What's done is done. If I could go back in time and reverse the decision to stay an extra day I would, but I can't. There's no use in going on about it.
The days ride to Songklha brought me down a nice coastal road. It was rather busy, but the view of the ocean made up for it. When you cycle for long periods of time it is best to try and find something to distract you. Otherwise it seems like you are sitting there forever. I can think of no better way to escape from the reality of what I'm doing than staring out into a never ending ocean. Unfortunately, being that close to the sea often comes along with a strong wind, and today was no exception. It wasn't that bad though. The strong headwind lasted only about an hour before dying down. The rest of the day went pretty smooth.
Although I was biking in the wind, I couldn't help but smile when I rolled over the 10,000 mark. I can't believe I've cycled 10,000km across this continent. It seems like just yesterday I was just starting out. I guess time really does fly when you're having fun.
Just before hitting Songkla I stopped for a small break. As I was sitting there a Thai woman approached me and started taking pictures of me. She spoke to me in Thai. Naturally I didn't understand a word she was saying. Then she started showing me the pictures on her camera. It was filled with photos of different cyclists, most of which were stopped in the the very same place I was sitting. It's funny. I haven't met any other cyclists since being back in Thailand. I was surprised this woman had encountered so many. Who knows. Maybe she has been sitting there for years just waiting for foreigners on their bikes to pass by.

No comments: