On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Phetchaburi-Prachuap Khirikhan

Total Distance:163.22km
Total Time:8h49m26s
Average Speed:18.5km/h
Maximum Speed:34.0km/h
Total Distance So Far:9330.47km

I thought maybe I would have an opportunity to hit up some places I didn't see on my way up in January. As it turns out, both stops since leaving Bangkok have been places I've already been. Looking at the map it doesn't seem like there is much I missed before anyway. For once in my life, I did a pretty thorough job.
Phetchaburi was pretty much just as I had left it, up to and including it's lack of accommodations. There are a few, you just really have to look for them. When I was there last time I stayed at a place that was pretty far out of the way. This time I opted to search around a little more for something closer to the highway. After about an hour of aimless riding around the city I found somewhere. It was a bit of a "flea-bag", but really cheap and conveniently located, so I'm not complaining. Although there was something living outside of my window. Possibly a rat, but I didn't open the curtain to check. Sometimes you would rather just not know.
The ride to Prachuap Khirikhan, like those of recent, proved to be nothing spectacular. Just another loud main highway. It was quite nice approaching the limestone peaks that scatter themselves throughout Thailand's Southern regions. It is a pretty sight, but made less enjoyable when you have dogs chasing you and cars honking there horns over and over and over...
That's right. The dogs are back! I've learned how to deal with them a little better. Some of them chase you just for the thrill. To these ones you stop your bike and stare at them and, usually, they back off. However there are those you look at and you know they have rabbis. To these... ride like hell!
So, this is something you could go without knowing. However travelling alone leaves you with nobody to complain to. Here, you all get to act as my surrogate travel companions. I recently invested in a new pair of cycling shorts. WORST CYCLING SHORTS EVER! My butt is in so much pain. Sitting down is torture. Hopefully I'll be able to make it through tomorrows ride.

No comments: