On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Friday, June 12, 2009

Ban Bang Boet-Chumphon

Total Distance:88.61km
Total Time:5h47m11s
Average Speed:15.3km/h
Maximum Speed:44.5km/h
Total Distance So Far:9555.09km

After a great meal and a good nights sleep, this morning I was off once more to continue my journey. Thinking back on it now, I remember that the reason I was able to continue on down this road after I had fallen and injured my leg last December was because it was mostly downhill. All I really had to do was sit there and steer. I had sort of forgotten that part until today. As I climbed up the hills around Ban Bang Boet, it all started coming back to me. However, in comparison to the hills of Northern Vietnam, Laos and Northern Thailand, this was nothing. There was a bit of a head wind as well. The elements slowed me down a little today, but it was still a beautiful ride.
It's been months since I've seen the ocean. It feels great to be back. I have yet to actually submerge myself in it, but that is bound to come soon enough. Just the sight and smell of it is so uplifting. Mountains are great and all, but there's something about peering out into the deep blue sea that... wee, it's hard to explain.
I'm back in Chumphon where, surprise surprise, I have already been. I suppose I could have gone a little further, but today was a particularly hot one. Plus, there is a book exchange here and I am in pretty desperate need of some reading material. Nerdy, I know, but it kills the time when there is nothing else to do.
I'm almost back in Malaysia. It is just a matter of days. I'm looking forward to it, although I will have to brush up on my Malay. I didn't pick up that much the first time around, but I knew the basics. I have completely forgotten them. My next day riding should bring me to Sarat Thani (or surrounding area). Until then...

No comments: