On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Surat Thani-Don Sak (Ko Samui)

Total Distance:77.99km
Total Yime:4h11m37s
Average Speed:18.6km/h
Maximum Speed:51.5km/h
Total Distance So Far:1387.01km

After arriving late in Surat Thani I rode around aimlessly looking for a place to stay. Once again, my Lonely Planet guide failed to produce any information that was the least bit accurate. Finally I found a place to stay. It was not a bad little place. The woman who ran it was quite the animated little character. She stood no more than five feet tall and, although due to the language barrier I can't be sure, seemed rather impressed with me and Fred. She even went as far as to check my tires fore me before I left in the morning. I left a little later than usual, around 8:30am, as I didn't have that far to go. I got on my bike and rode down the 401 to Don Sak Pier, where I could board a car ferry to Ko Samui. There are passenger ferries that are closer to Surat Thani, but a car ferry is always easier with Fred.
It wasn't that far to the ferry. Just over 70km. In comparison to some of my more recent trips, it should have been an effortless ride. It should have, but wasn't. My legs burned from riding that hill in Khao Sok the day before. It was the first time since coming to SE Asia that I've really felt the effects of the previous days ride. I made it there in one piece though, which is all that matters. I boarded the ferry at 12:30 and was on my way to Ko Samui to spend some more time lying on a beach. Rough life, I know.
I don't know how long I'll stay, as it is rather expensive. There's a couple of other islands to hit up on the east coast as well. It's sort of up in the air right now. One thing is for certain, come Christmas day I'll be lying on a white sandy beach.

No comments: