On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Friday, December 12, 2008

Phuket-Takua Pa

Total Distance:134.32
Total Time:7h03m01s
Average Speed:19.1km/h
Maximum Speed:44.5 km/h
Total Distance So Far:1142.00km

Okay, so I spent a little longer loitering around Phuket than I had initially anticipated I would. As it turned out I really enjoyed it. I stayed in the city, at the On On Hotel. Phuket town is significantly less busy than the surrounding beaches. It isn't so swamped with beer swilling tourists. The travellers in the city tend to be the ones with a greater appreciation for actual Thai culture. Over all it was a pleasant stay. I did manage to make it out to the Phi Phi islands. It was a short lived trip. I suggest anyone heading that way take at least a few days to enjoy it, as there is an abundance of things to see and do there. That having been said, make sure you are prepared to deal with a piece of Thailand that has been completely consumed by Western culture. Aside from the breath taking beaches and scenery, one could easily forget what country they are in. None the less, it is worth the trip out there.
After spending what could be perceived as a little too much time in Puket, I was ready to hit the road again. I've been cycling for a month yet without receiving a single flat tire. To my dismay, when I pulled my bike out to leave Phuket, the rear wheel was completely flat. As if that weren't bad enough, about half way through the days trip I received yet another puncture. I completely blame "British Rob", whom I met in Phuket. Rob if you are reading this, I just want you to know you're a total wanker. I don't consider myself to be a superstitious person. However in this case I'll make an exception. The day before I left, Rob just had to ask how many flats I had gotten. When I told him none, he just had to marvel at what luck I had. WANKER! He completely jinxed me.
The trip to Tukua Pa was nice. It felt great to be back out on the road. I rode through Khao Lak, which was scenically the nicest part of the day. There was many hills in that area but, although long, they weren't very steep. I almost stayed the night there, as it was only 30km from Takua Pa. However the cheapest place I could find was 500 baht, which I was unwilling at the time to pay. The economical value of the On On had spoiled me. As it turned out, once in Takua Pa, I discovered there was only one hotel which cost 600 baht a night. I guess it serves me right.

No comments: