On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Ko Samui-Sarat Thani

Total Distance:99.85km
Total Time:5h19m25s
Average Speed:18.80km/h
Maximum Speed:51.0km/h
Total Distance So Far:1486.86km

It seems although now I'm just riding around in circles. After spending a four nights on Ko Samui I decided to head back to Sarat Thani and start heading for Bangkok. I don't know why, but I didn't like Ko Samui all that much. I guess it due to how over-run by tourists it was. It was easy to forget all together what country you were in. It was slightly depressing, how this beautiful piece of Thailand had been completely corrupted by the western word. Pizza places out number noodle houses ten to one. It was time for me to go.
I left my hotel on Chewang Beach early in the morning. In an attempt to avoid a couple of hills I had hit on my way there, I decided to go the other direction. Not only was it twice as long, but there was twice as many hills. At least now I can say Fred and I did a full loop around the island. I caught the car ferry back to Don Sak. While on the ferry I began to feel rather nauseous. I chalked it up to sea sickness. However, once off the boat it didn't subside. The whole 70km back to Sarat Thani my stomach burned. I seriously thought I might die. Once in Sarat Thani I checked myself into a hotel and slept for the next 24 hours. It was probably something I ate. I'm feeling much better now.
While I was laying in bed I rethought going to Bangkok. I have to be the world's most indecisive person. I decided to give the islands one more chance to impress me. Tomorrow I head for Ko Pha-nong. Hopefully it will leave me with a better impression of Thai Beach life.

No comments: