On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Krabi (Ao Nang)-Phang Nga

Total Distance:106.98km
Total Time:5h31m35s
Average Speed:19.36km/h
Maximum Speep:49.5km/h
Total Distance So Far:903.17km

Upon arriving in Krabi I had wanted to go directly to the beach and skip the town all together. I drove around for hours, in the dark I might add, trying to figure out how to get there. Finally I gave up, rode back to town, and checked myself into a hostel for the evening. As it turned out I'm glad I did. Krabi is actually a not bad little town. The next morning I woke up, received some proper directions, and headed down to Ao Nang beach. Ao Nang was beautiful. Sandy beaches, clear blue water, and mountainous cliffs. It was enough to take your breath away. Like many of the beaches I've visited on my trip, it was rather touristy. I'm looking forward to finding one that is not so inhabited by tourists. I spent a few days there soaking up the sun, swimming, and doing a little kayaking. Overall, a good break. After that, Fred and I hit the road once again.
I was hoping to make it all the way to Phuket in a day. The heat of the Thai sun , however, proved to be a bigger challenge than I had anticipated. I reached Phang-Nga by the early afternoon and was completely wiped out from the heat. I opted to spend the night and go the rest of the way the next day. Probably a smart choice. Had I continued I'm sure I'd be lying dead from exhaustion and dehydration on some highway in Thailand right know.
I had heard good things about Phang-Nga. Various people had suggested I stop there if I couldn't make it the whole way. It's most commonly known for "James Bond Island", which is a nearby island where they filmed...you guessed it, on of the 007 movies. Don't ask me which one, as I don't know and don't care. Aside from this tourist attraction I found Phang-Nga had very little to offer. It has, up to this point, been my least favorite stop. There was nothing to do or see. and I found the people to be quite rude. I did see a fair amount of other travellers there, all of which were sporting glum looks on their faces. I can only assume they were having similar experiences. I decided to call this one a right off, packed it in early, and went to bed. The way I look at it is if, in the past month, this has been the only place that I've really disliked, I can't complain. You can't win 'em all.

No comments: