On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Louangprabang-Pak Mong

Total Distance:1113.46km
Total time:6h51m41s
Average Speed:16.5km/h
Maximum Speed:57.0km/h
Total Distance So Far:7419.07km

So, you are probably all wondering why every time I write about Louangprbang I spell it differently. Apart from the fact that my spelling skills leave something to be desired, there is no exact translation between Laos and English. Every time I pass a sign for Louangprabang it is spelt differently. However you spell it, my last visit there was a good one. There were a couple of things that, with the excitement of Pii Mai, I was unable to check out the last time I was there. Louangprabang is a great city. Very relaxed. the perfect place to spend a couple of days before heading back out into the mountains.
Pak Mong is only 27km from where Fred broke down and we ended up on the bus. I was glad to get there. Having retraced the path of the bus ride, I can now say I actually rode the whole route without cheating. I don't want to be one of those cyclists who tells people they are riding across SE Asia when, in fact, they are busing it most of the way. The ride was a good one. A surprisingly easy one. The road between Louangprabang and Pak Mong follows the Nam Ou river, meaning it runs in a valley making it a whole lot less hilly than what I've been used to. There are hills, but they are small and rolling. It was great to actually average 16km/h. It's been a little frustrating after pulling 200km days at 20km/h, coming to Laos and only being able to make it 80km in a day and at a snails pace.
Pak Mong had little to offer, but a girl's gotta stay somewhere. It is sort of a hub town. People generally only stop there to transfer buses to either Louangprabang or Oudom Xai. However there was a place to eat and a place to sleep, so I was happy.

No comments: