On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Friday, May 15, 2009

Chiang Saen-Chiang Rai

Total Distance:61.97km
Total Time:2h50m03s
Average Speed:21.8km/h
Maximum Speed:31.0km/h
Total Distance So Far:7950.37km

Chiang Saen is a quiet sedate little town. It is dotted with temples and ruins to check out, and sitting along the Mekong watching the boats go buy is a great way to spend the evenings. It's the perfect place to rest up. However one day is more than enough to experience what it has to offer. By this morning I was ready to move on.
After a month and a half of enduring the physical hardships that accompanied the mountains of Laos, today's ride was just what the doctor ordered. I left Chiang Saen at 7:00 and arrived in Chiang Rai by 10:00. A big change from the all day trips I've been doing. The traffic was also a big change. In Laos there was hardly any. I haven't had to put up with zooming by cars and motorbikes since I left Vietnam. Highway 1 is a busy one, but the plus side is it's beautifully paved and flat. Still, for anyone heading this way, I might suggest taking the alternate route. The traffic is supposedly a lot lighter and the scenery much nicer. I only opted for the main highway to have a day away from any hills. Lazy, I know, but I've done my fair share so I think I deserve a break.
Like I said the trip was a short one, so there's not really a lot to tell. Maybe my next trip will be one of a little more interest. I still haven't decided on if I'm going to bike up to Pai or not, but I'm leaning towards yes.
Anyway, they are playing Celine Dion in the Internet Cafe were I am currently sitting, which I just can't handle, so I'm going to have to cut this one short.

No comments: