On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Some Village In Langpraubang Prov.-Vieng Kham

Total Distance:51.74km
Total Time:4h28m24s
Average Speed:11.5km/h
Maximum Speed:48.0km/h
Total Distance So Far:6817.95km

I started the day in the pissing rain with not a cent to my name. It was truely a terrible feeling. It rained all day. On the up side, the slopes seem to be getting less steep, so Fred can usually make it up without crapping out. At one point the rain was so intense I took refuge under a tree. I waited it out for about an hour and it finally settled down a bit. I sat on a rock afterwards, eating a little sticky rice my hosts from the previous night had given me. I could feel something nipping at my foot inside my shoe. When I took my shoe off what did I discover? Both my feet were covered in Leeches!
After peeling the blood-suckers off I got back on my bike, a little traumatized, but generally okay. I prayed the whole way to Vien Kham that there would be a Western Union there. No such luck! The next town was a little too far for me to bike. I had no other option, I had to bed for a place to stay. And this is why I love Laos...
The lady at the guesthouse not only took me in free of charge, but fed me aswell. She even went as far as to give me a little cash to buy a bottle of water the next morning. Once again, I was amazed at the kindness of the Laos people.

No comments: