On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Monday, April 20, 2009

In Vientiane

While there has been little in the way of cycling action, I thought it best to post an entry anyway. The last time I went a significant amount of time without doing so I received emails from family members, threatening to call embassies and start a world-wide search for me. To avoid such over-reactions, I'm posting this to let you all know that I am indeed still alive and well. No need to call in the cavalry quite yet!
When I last left you I was in Luangprabang. I stayed there for a few days, enjoying the festivities of Pii Mai (Lunar New Year). I must say the Lao people certain know how to throw a party. Over the three days of Pii Mai the entire country engages in a giant water fight. It's impossible to step onto the street without getting soaked to the bone. Luangprabang is a great city. There is something almost magical about it. The surrounding mountains, waterfalls, and many Wats give it a feeling that one may think only possible in fairy tales.
After spending the Holiday in LP, I took a bus down to Vientiane. The 10 hour bus ride only made me more eager to fix Fred. I have no desire to do that again! I have been here a few days now and, after a little looking around, I think I've managed to fix the old boy up. A few more days here sorting out Visas and I hope to be back on the road. All this inactivity is starting to make me a little flabby, fat and lazy. There's nothing worse than biking with a beer belly.
So cross your fingers that all goes well. Hopefully the next time you hear from me I'll be back in the saddle!

No comments: