On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Satun-Trang

Total Distance:141.12km
Total Time:7h54m44s
Average Speed:17.8km/h
Maximum Speed:44.0km/h
Total Distance So Far:607.67km

So, I finally made it to Thailand. I arrived in Satun via ferry. Unfortunately, I allowed my laziness to get the best of me and didn't quite make the morning boat. I got to Satun at about 2:00pm, which was too late to start cycling. So, I had no option but to spend the night there. Finding a place to stay in Satun was no easy feat. I did find a place, but unfortunately had to share it with various creepy-crawlies. I spen tthe night enjoying the company of an entire nest of wasps just above the door inside my room. I suppose it could have been worse... I don't know how exactly. I woke early the next morning and was off like a dress on a prom date.
Riding through Southern Thailand was AMAZING! I was impressed by Malaysia. I think mainly because it was something I had never seen before. Malaysia is nothing compared to this. (Sorry Malaysia, I still love you) Imagine riding through a land with towering mountains, fillrd with hidden caves, waterfalls, and beaches. Bamboo huts line the roads. Everything looks beautiful and pristine. This is where I am now. The roads in Thailand, so far, are just as good as Malaysia. The terrain is a little more challenging. That is to say, there are actually hiss that exist here. It's not too challenging though, just enough to keep it interesting. The people are so nice. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, shouts hello to me on the road. I think you get the point. I really like Thailand so far.
I do however have a couple of complaints. The first, and most important particularly to any of you other cyclists put there, is the obscene amount of dogs here. Some are wild, some domestic, I'm positive a few have been rabid. One thing is for sure, they all love to chase down cyclists. They're fast little buggers too. I experienced a couple of problems with dogs in Malaysia, but nothing like this. It's actually pretty terrifying. The second complaint I have, to no fault of the Thai people of course, is the language barrier. I can't even order a meal in a restaurant. I've taken to just sitting there looking idiotic until they bring me something. It's actually worked out. I've had some of the best food since being here. Still, it's hard not being able to communicate in the least. I guess I have to work on my Thai.
So that was my first impression of Thailand, and it was a great one!

1 comment:

klucas said...

You spent a night with wasps!? I'm impressed dear Gabby, but you know if I was there I would have caught them and relocated them for you, just like the good ole days!