On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Kuala Selangor-Tulok Intan

Total Distance:101.94km
Total Time:5h07m22s
Average Speed:19.90km/h
Maximum Speed:39.46km/h
Total Distance So Far:192.33km

Hello All. Today we rode from Kuala Selangor to Tulok Intan. Kuala Selangor is anything but a hip happening town. It is remarkably beautiful though. I woke up early this morning, wanting to get a head start just in case it rained. As I was loading up my bike who should I see coming down the stairs but two fellow cyclists. We had spent the night in the same flea-bag hotel. I wish I would have known the night before. That way we could have shared info about our journey's. That is to say they could have given me info, as my journey up to that point had consisted of one day. They were going in the other direction, which was a shame as todays trip was a little boring and I could have used the company. None the less, it was nice to know there are other people just as crazy as me.
Todays trip was slightly boring. I think the novelty Malaysia had worn off a little. Don't get me wrong, it was still a sight. However after a couple hundred kilometers of the same thing, it tends to loose its affect. When people tell you west coat Penninsular Malaysia is flat they really mean it. Today I encountered one hill, which was only about ten meters long and not the least bit steep. It didn't make for the most challenging ride. On the other hand, it's a nice way to ease myself into the trip. There wasn't a drop of rain today. Nor was it too hot. It was actually pretty perfect. There was some cloud cover and a nice breeze. It made for good riding.
Towards the end of todays trip I ran into yet another cyclist. Also headed in the opposite direction. He was one hard core dude. He cycled all the way from Germany (with the exception of China, as he couldn't get a Visa) We sat and shared in some Lychee Fruit. Later an Icecream Man showed up and gave us a couple of free Cones. It was nice to see that there are people even crazier than me.
I ended today in Tulok Intan, where I'm paying an arm and a leg for accomodations. I asked the people at the Hotel if they were the only one in town and they said yes. Naturally, as soon as I walked outside I saw two more. I guess it serves me right for not shopping around, but I could use a sleep in a nice place anyway.
That's all for now folks. Talk to you soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

MMmmm, Lychee fruit, passed on your message, c-fire states that he is really into Scandel (the band). You people make no sense to me. Chow. Reno

Anonymous said...

Hey Fred,

hope you are still going fine. Don't worry you gonna get the hills as sonn as you come towards the Thaiboarder. And the nice beaches, that are missing on Westcoast Malaysia. If you happen to be in Ko Lanta, say hi in Klapa Klum Bar on Longbeach. Lived there for six months, nice place.

All the best...

Crazy Dude