On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Islands

After all that biking I decided it was time for a rest. A well deserved rest, I might add. I started off by spending a couple of days in Georgetown, on Penang. A very cool city, filled with travellers from around the glob. Most of whom had been travelling for quite some time, with little or no intention of returning to their place of origin any time soon. I met all sorts of folks hanging around that island. The good, the bad, and the ugly. I have to say, my favorite part of Penang was definitely the architecture. European inspired buildings line the streets of this Malaysian Island. It was a great place to wonder around, just checking things out.
After a few days in Penang Fred and I headed to Lankawi via ferry. Lankawi was completely different from Penang. Filled with tourists and geared totally toward them, I must say that sort of thing is not really my cup of tea. Still it was a great place to lay around the beach. I should also mention, as a duty free zone, beer is insanely cheap in Lankawi. We're talking 30 cents Canadian a beer. However everything else is over-priced. I did how ever meet a couple of interesting people. Among them, Les, who is training for the Iron Man Competition. Les, if you're reading this, good luck to you!
I did manage to squeeze a little biking into my time on Lankawi. A great place to bike. My cycling computer broke, and I happened to find a pretty cool little bike shop where I could replace it. I've had good luck with these things so far.
So that was my holiday from my holiday. After a couple of days soaking up the sun in Lankawi, I was off to Satun to resume a cyclists life.

No comments: