On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Monday, November 17, 2008

KL to KS

TOTAL DISTANCE:90.35km
TOTAL TIME:5h12m05s
AVERAGE SPEED:17.37km/h
MAXIMUM SPEED:51.68KM/H

I left Kuala Lumpur this morning at 6:30am and headed towards the west coast. Leaving KL proved to be less of a challenge than I had thought it would be. I did, however, get lost...twice. The first time is KL, the second directly after leaving KL. Unfortunately the second time landed me back at my hostel, which is where I started. For those of you who know me, this shouldn't come as much of a shock. I did get lost one other time, transfering onto HWY 54, headed toward the coast. However it was only a minor set back. The first half of todays trip was great. Not to hot, not to cold. Riding through the Malaysian jungle was like nothing I have ever experienced, nor ever will again. It was truely inspiring. The Malaysian people are great. Curtios to a slow moving cyclist. Frequently I would recieve a honk followed by a thumbs up or a friendly wave. It made the ride just that much more enjoyable. After a couple of hours it started to lightly rain, which was actually quite refreshing. Into the third hour it started to pour. At first I didn't mind. It was sort of fun zooming through the big puddles of warm water. Into the fourth hour, it started to get to me. I decided to stop in Kuala Salengor. It was disappointing. I would have liked to go further, and was feeling up to it. I did do almost 100km today though, which is nothing to scoff at.

No comments: