On November 4th Fred the bike is embarking on a six month journey across Southeast Asia. Starting in Singapore, Fred plans to make his way up the west coast of Malaysia, across Thailand, Cambodia, up through Vietnam and into Laos. After that... who knows? Fred invites you to follow him through his adventure. Any advice from fellow travelers is always welcome.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Kuantan-Rompin

Total Distance:137.31km
Total Time:7h43m42s
Average Speed:17.7km/h
Maximum Speed:49.0km/h
Total Distance So Far:10,895.70km

For some reason I thought making a stop in Kuantan would be a good idea. I was wrong. Not that there was anything wrong with Kuantan. As far as a place to stop for a night it was fine. However I probably should have pushed on a little further. I guess I thought it wasn't as far as it actually was to Singapore.
I stayed in a pretty nice, not to mention a little expensive hotel on Kuantan. Sometimes I'm not the best budget traveller. It was nice though. It was clean and in the morning they had a really great all you can eat breakfast buffet. It was the best breakfast I've had in eight months. Still having quite the distance to travel i probably should have forfeited breakfast, but it came complimentary with the room. Free food is the best kind.
The road to Rompin was hillier than I had anticipated. It was the good kind of hills. Rolling hills, where you can catch enough speed going down one to almost make it to the top of the next. Entering Malaysia through the North, the east coast was very developed and filled with resort after resort. The view of the South China Sea was nice, but grew a little dull after a while. This area, the area between Kuantan and Jahor Bharu, is a lot more desolate and came with a change of scenery as well. The surrounding landscape was much more of the wooded National Park Variety. I like the beach, but at heart I'm a mountain girl. I always feel a little more at ease when travelling through a park of forest.
The name Rompin is misleading. One might expect it to be a "rompin', stompin" good time, but it's not. It consists of about four hotels, a 7/11 and a KFC. I suppose that's all you really need, especially when just making a quick overnight stay. It gave me a chance to spend a good night catching up on some reading and resting up.

No comments: